Webley Grenade Pistol Conversions

tony645
User

Webley Grenade Pistol Conversions

Post by tony645 »

Here are a couple of Webley 1 1/2" Flare Guns converted to Grenade Pistols. The first was a No 1 Mk 1, the 1 overstamped with a 2. A bit of the 1 can be seen below the foot of the 2 on the frame. The Model designation on the barrel was subsequently crossed out and Pistol Grenade 1 1/2" Mk 1 * stamped below. The serial number is in all the normal places and on the discharge cup. The cup is stamped TEC and 1940.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tony645
User

Re: Webley Grenade Pistol Conversions

Post by tony645 »

This is a converted No 2 Mk 1. The original serial number on the frame has been crossed out and a new number stamped, also on the frame, trigger guard and cup. The extractor has a different number. The cup is marked TEC and 1944.

Now some questions

If the year on the cup is the year converted, were these pistols made over 4 or more years? Does anyone have an earlier or later date? Did TEC do all the conversions or just manufacture the cups?

Does anyone have a No 3 conversion?

Paul Breaky's article on 1 1/2" flare guns say these were used by the Royal Navy to launch recognition signals. A special bracket was used. JoeSalter.com indicated in his listings that they were built to discharge smoke grenades from light armoured vehicles, again using a special mount. Does anyone have pictures of grenade pistols in these mounts?

Were these pistols ever used to actually launch grenades? A Mills Bomb grenade fits in the cup nicely.

Does anyone have a copy of the KLOOS article in the October 1987 Guns Review magazine that they could email or sell to me?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Hello, In my collection, I have One overstamped conversion from No1 Mk1 to No2 Mk1.

I have Three (3), No2 Mk1 conversions. I am willing to sell or trade one of my duplicates.

One has the date 1940 and TEC on the Grenade Cup.

Does anybody have an example of the Grenade Flares ???
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
roadwreck
User

Post by roadwreck »

I have two of the Granade pistols. Both are marked 1916 . Their serial numbers are in the 4000 range. Both are no. 2 Mark "1". On the bsrrel,
the no. 2 Mark "1" has been crossed out. On the cup is TEC N 1940. My
other gun is stored so don't know about markings on that ones cup. The
only difference I can see is one of the guns has smooth wood grips and the
other one has plastic type grips. Don't know anything else about them.
breakeyp
User

Post by breakeyp »

Mr. Salter is interested in selling items. His research often leaves much to be desired. I have never seen a reference to the pistols having been used in land or air service.

The pistols were Navy conversions for launching identification flares based on the referenced Guns Review article. I have read the article and it is the only source of information for the guns. (No, I don't have a copy available). Australian Rick Landers wrote a book, Grenades, and is the absolute best source on Commonwealth grenades. Per his book, the No. 65 and 66 grenade were used in the pistol and a floating device launched from submarines. A launching cartridge is inserted into the pistol and the grenade loaded from the muzzle. Used in the float device, red color indicated emergency sub surface or sub sunk. Green indicated practice torpedo firing or simulated firing. Cartridges were developed from 1940 through 1944. They were still in service up to 2001.
tony645
User

Post by tony645 »

Thanks for the additional information. You've opened a new area to investigate.
Tony

Return to “Other & unidentified British flare guns”