Unkown Cattle Killer - German ??

signalman
User

Unkown Cattle Killer - German ??

Post by signalman »

This is an Unknown model of Cattle Killer. I believe it might be German.

It is interesting in that the hammer is hidden on one side, and exposed on the other side of the pistol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
Badger Jack
User

Re: Unkown Cattle Killer - German ??

Post by Badger Jack »

I am a little late to your post, but... better late than never!
Very interesting, cool thing, it is.
As to the hammer, made for left hand use?
Are there any markings anywhere on the frame, maybe under the grips?
Thanks!
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Hello, no markings. grips make the gun ambidextrous. Hammer is easier to work with right hand.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
AlanD
User

Post by AlanD »

Vickers cattle killer.jpg
Similar in concept to the Vickers made cattle killer pistol.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Hello Alan,

What Identifies this as a Vickers, Is it marked in some way, or is it listed in a catalog ? ?

AlanD
User

Post by AlanD »

Vickers Humane Logo.jpg
Hello

Yes made by Vickers for the RSPCA. I have seen another one in the Royal Armories collection in Leeds in the UL, that is in .455 with British ordnance markings, serial number 3617. However I would be surprised in Vickers ever made that many, I suspect they started there serial number range at 1001, or even higher. Collecting humane and cattle/horse killers makes an interesting diversion.
In the UK W.W. Greener had a lot of success with their .310 cattle killer and their .22 and .310 "Safti Killer" models.
Also, Webley had a go at this market with conversions of there single shot .22 target pistol and their .32 auto pistol. As well as this was the 600 odd Spearey .22 pistols using the frame of the Mk111 one inch brass signal pistol.
Another gun maker who seemed to have some sucssess in the 1920's and 1930's was the London gunmaker Stephen Grant maker of high class shotguns. He had a range of .380 and .450 humane killers some mounted on poles.
The bigest makers seem to have been Accles & Shelvoke and the "Cash" captive bolt pistols.
Cox and Temple Cox were in on this as well. I have seen a Cox pistol which was made by W. W. Greener in fact. Intriguingly, it was British ordnance marked.

Regards
Alan
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Thank you. I have owned a good number of cattle killers over the years, and still have a few nice examples.

Return to “Cattle killers”