MANVILLE 3rd Gen. 18 shot Tear Gas Gun in 25mm

signalman
User

MANVILLE 3rd Gen. 18 shot Tear Gas Gun in 25mm

Post by signalman »

This is my Rare 18 shot 3rd. Gen. Manville Tear Gas Gun. The Third Gen. Guns became available in mid 1938, and were produced into the beginning of 1943. In 1943 Manville systematically destroyed all drawings, remaining weapons, jigs, dies, parts, and much of the documents tracking developement and history of his wonderful designs.

The Frame is Aluminum, but some parts are steel. You will note that there is some bubbling of the finish on the steel plate that has the Manville marking, and pat. information.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
Dr.E13
User

Re: MANVILLE 3rd Gen. 18 shot Tear Gas Gun in 25mm

Post by Dr.E13 »

Why did they destroy plans, drawings, weapons, etc?
May your collection grow and prosper.

Dr.E13
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Hello, It is said that when Manville's guns were rejected by the USA military, He kind of lost his mind, and went on a rampage and destroyed much of his own work.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
gunnertwo
User

Post by gunnertwo »

Fascinating! I would think that would be a modern design during that time. It reminds me of the Stryker 12 and Streetsweeper shotguns of a few years back. Thanks for the pics.

G2
Dr.E13
User

Post by Dr.E13 »

Thank you for the information.

Now that I know the reason, I like the man.
May your collection grow and prosper.

Dr.E13
Pilot7474
User

Post by Pilot7474 »

I now have one myself. It is the last version of the third model, with the long barrel. In the Netherlands this weapon is considered to be a black powder long gun, therefor does not require a license. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Very nice, do you know any of the history surrounding it ?? How did it end up in your country ?

Pilot7474
User

Post by Pilot7474 »

Actually, I do not know anything about the weapon, apart from it being one of the last versions of the model 3 Manville. It came to the Netherlands because I imported it :lol: I bought it at the previous auction at Cowan's in Cincinnati and just had it shipped.

I took it to our local gunshow and it made a big impression. Won second prize for exhibition.

The gun is in very good condition. It did not run properly but it only needed some lubrication to solve that. The trigger does not function every time because of too much play on the triggerpin. That will easily be solved.

It is an impressive piece, to say the least.
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

You got a real good deal on that one. Even counting the import costs. I was going to bid online, but I have so many Manvilles, I decided I did not need another one and I would bid on the upcoming RIA auction. If I had known it would go so cheap, I probably would have put a bid in anyway.

Return to “Teargas flare guns”