Schermuly model?

Gotavapen
User

Schermuly model?

Post by Gotavapen »

Gentlemen please.
Can anybody tell me anything about this Schermuly?
Is it one of the testsamples made before his line thrower was accepted?
signalman
User

Re: Schermuly model?

Post by signalman »

This started out as a Schermuly line thrower, modified by cutting off the extended Barrel.frame is a No.1 Mk III*.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
Gotavapen
User

Post by Gotavapen »

Are you sure about the * (star) because this attribute was used for Mark 3 with a funnel to protect fingers?
hotto
User

Post by hotto »

Around the middle of the fifties of the last century, Schermuly started to rebuild excess line throwing pistols into signal pistols and sell them on the civilian market. Pistols of this type were available in various designs, e.g. with the "American handle" or with the rounded handle of the original British signal pistols and with or without soldered mouth funnel. The customer had the free choice. Most of these pistols still had the complete stamp of the line throwing pistols, which also includes the proof marks. After the conversion, the weapons were proofed again and stamped accordingly. Because these signal guns have been "dismantled" from different gun models and "rebuilt" according to the customers' wishes, no generally valid dimensional and weight specifications can be made.
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

The star, " * " marking indicates the safety feature, the pin, that blocks opening the pistol when the hammer is pulled back. It does not indicate the belled barrel.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
AlanD
User

Post by AlanD »

A nice example of a Schermuly made signal pistol with their alternative and perhaps more modern and ergonomic grip strap design.
I think this was made as a signal pistol rather than modifying it from a line thrower, this may be indicated by the S 3 model designation???

Perhaps one day someone will work out what each "S"number means in terms of the diffrent models.

S 3 , S 7 , S 8 and so on...

Regards

AlanD

Return to “Other & unidentified British flare guns”