Swiss M17/38

964AWACS
User

Swiss M17/38

Post by 964AWACS »

I am looking for some background information on the Swiss M17/38 34mm flare pistol. There isn't much available on line that I have been able to find. Specifically - what years it was produced, total number manufactured, when did production go from wood grips to bakelite/polymer, is there any way to date one base on serial number, etc.?

I recently acquired s/n 1968. It has wooden grips and does not have the Swiss Cross-in-Shield stamp on the left side of the frame. Were these made for agencies other than the military?

Mine came with a sling and a hang tag, but of course I am now looking for the backpack/holster and an example of the ammunition (empty case is fine).
--Rob
hotto
User

Re: Swiss M17/38

Post by hotto »

Hello Rob,
I'll give you some information, but I think your pistol is not an M17 / 38 but an M17. Can you post a picture? Please give me the thickness from the wall of the barrel. If I have this information, I can help you.
Greeting Horst
964AWACS
User

Post by 964AWACS »

Thanks Horst. I haven't been able to post pictures here, but if you send an email to rpebecker@verizon.net, I send some pictures back to you.

Is there a serial number cut-off that delineates between the M17 and the M17/38?
billybibbet
User

Post by billybibbet »

If you are having trouble with posting pictures, it is typically because they need to be resized smaller. A quick google search will give you tips on how to resize your pictures.

Return to “Other countries' & unidentified flare guns”