VERY made in USA

Gotavapen
User

VERY made in USA

Post by Gotavapen »

Here is a small VERY flare pistol which I have not seen on this forum before. Maybe I have missed it? But for sure it's marked VERY and is almost identical to the French Chaubert M1916. Can you please help me?
/Gotavapen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gotavapen
User

Re: VERY made in USA

Post by Gotavapen »

Very721v.jpg
Left side
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gotavapen
User

Post by Gotavapen »

Very721h.jpg
Right side. Please compare it to the French Chobert M1916 I posted among the French Flare guns.
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=40
/Gotavapen
hotto
User

Post by hotto »

Hi Gotavapen
this is a Signal pistol Mark IV

This bronze pistol was an exact replica of the French signal pistol model "1914-18". In the battlefields of the First World War, the American soldiers quickly realized that the caliber 10 of their own signal pistols was completely inadequate. A remedy was the acquisition of the French signal system in caliber 25mm. After the expeditionary force was initially supplied with French supplies, A.H. Fox in Philadelphia and Scott Fetzger Co. in Cleveland in August 1918 the order for the production of such signal pistols for the US Army. Visually, these guns differed from their French counterparts only by the vertical grooves in the handle shells and by the lettering. To open the barrel, the left-hand lever had to be turned backwards, which released the lock. After tipping the barrel, the gun could be unloaded or loaded. An extractor was not available. To load the pistol, the cock had to be set to the half-locked position because the firing pin in the forward position could strike the primer when the barrel was closed.

On the day of the truce, on November 11, 1918, production ceased. From August 1918 until this date, a total of 11943 Mark IV pistols were manufactured and delivered. Of these accounted for the company A. H. Fox 4193 pieces and the company Scott - Fetzer 7750 pieces.
Gotavapen
User

Post by Gotavapen »

Thank you Image
/Gotavapen

Return to “Other & unidentified American flare guns”