LP-42 loose barrel

drysaltycrackers
User

LP-42 loose barrel

Post by drysaltycrackers »

I've only recently gotten interested in flare pistols, and to start my collection, I decided to play it safe and buy an LP-42 from IMA. The flare pistols they were selling had mismatched serial numbers on the barrel and frame and had the Israeli stamp on them. The overall condition was very good. The only real problems were the cosmoline slathered in all of the crevices (easily fixed) and the loose barrel. On inspection, it appears that the pin attaching the barrel to the frame was somewhat loose, letting the barrel rattle around when shaken. I tried fiddling with the washer to see if it needed to be closer to the actual frame, but it appeared to be resting in a notch on the pin that the washer was intended to sit in. Is this due to the rebuild it got by the Israelis, or is it normal for the LP-42 to have this problem? Is there a fix for this?
drysaltycrackers
User

Re: LP-42 loose barrel

Post by drysaltycrackers »

After a bit of research I have determined that the pin is a replacement done when the pistol was being serviced. It appears that the original pin was held in place by the spring. Where can I find a replacement pin? The only German flare gun parts I could find online were for the Geco LP2, which is derived from the LP-42. Could I order one of those, or do I have to track down an LP-42 pin?
billybibbet
User

Post by billybibbet »

Unfortunately nothing listed there for LP-42
billybibbet
User

Post by billybibbet »

drysaltycrackers wrote: Fri 28 Feb 2020, 14:22 I've only recently gotten interested in flare pistols, and to start my collection, I decided to play it safe and buy an LP-42 from IMA. The flare pistols they were selling had mismatched serial numbers on the barrel and frame and had the Israeli stamp on them. The overall condition was very good. The only real problems were the cosmoline slathered in all of the crevices (easily fixed) and the loose barrel. On inspection, it appears that the pin attaching the barrel to the frame was somewhat loose, letting the barrel rattle around when shaken. I tried fiddling with the washer to see if it needed to be closer to the actual frame, but it appeared to be resting in a notch on the pin that the washer was intended to sit in. Is this due to the rebuild it got by the Israelis, or is it normal for the LP-42 to have this problem? Is there a fix for this?
I would adjust this another way...It should be possible to fit thin washers between the barrel and frame on one, or both sides to take up the free space. They will need to be thin, but can probably be found. Stainless steel would be ideal.

Finding any parts for LPs is difficult, and usually not economically worthwhile...and ends up not being original to the gun. For that reason I try to find complete flare guns whenever possible. The IMA LP42s are okay, as I wanted a couple post war reissue for my collection. I must have bought mine 8 years or so ago when I first was interested in flare guns...I am surprised they have any left.

Good luck with your collecting...along with online auctions, check your local gun shows and gun shops, you may be surprised what you can find.

Return to “Leuchtpistole 42”