Project fzs

drysaltycrackers
User

Project fzs

Post by drysaltycrackers »

A while back, I bought a fzs-marked gun for $225. It was advertised as non-functional, without any description of the nature of the fault. The pistol itself was in relatively good condition. The right grip was badly cracked. The safety was present, but was lacking the lever and about 5mm off the top of the spindle sheared off (I have the sheared off portion, not really sure how to fix it, might find a machinist). The right barrel indicator was stuck up and the left barrel wouldn't cock due to the safety being stuck on. I tried removing the grips, but no amount of penetrating oil would get the screw loose, so I eventually gave up in fear of ruining the screw.

I returned to it recently, accessing the springs by "removing" the damaged right grip, the screw still stuck fast in the intact left grip. Turns out the problem was that the lower portion of the right spring assembly was bent slightly near the top, jamming the whole assembly in the cocked position. After removing both spring assemblies (and the safety mechanism), I straightened the part and reinstalled both springs, and both barrels fire correctly now.

I still have some work to do on it. I need to find a new right grip (or a set if I can't get the screw out of the left one), the extractor cam is missing, the locking lever has some play in it, and I need to figure out what to do with the safety mechanism. Is there someplace I can get parts?
Last edited by drysaltycrackers on Tue 25 Aug 2020, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
signalman
User

Re: Project fzs

Post by signalman »

I have some internal parts. my problem is that I need an illustration of the parts needed so there is no mistake. I am bad on tech terms for the parts.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
drysaltycrackers
User

Email sent.
BrunoH
Beheerder

Post by BrunoH »

drysaltycrackers
User

Upon further inspection, the spring for the safety mechanism was bent due to it being out of position for a long time. It also turns out that the play in the locking lever is due to the absence of the spring assembly. The safety isn't really a priority for me to get fixed, so I just need a right grip, grip screw, and locking lever spring assembly.

Image from disassembly guide:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
drysaltycrackers
User

Bought a pair of grips of eBay. For whatever reason, they don't fit quite right. Did different makers use different molds?
billybibbet
User

Post by billybibbet »

The Ebay grips were for a different model of German flare gun. Probably an LP-34?
drysaltycrackers
User

They were definitely the correct grips. I ended up sanding down one of the 'wings' near the top of the grip, and it finally fit properly.
BrunoH
Beheerder

Post by BrunoH »

Good !! Some pictures of the final result ? ;)
drysaltycrackers
User

"Finished" product. Still need the spring assembly for the locking lever as it moves freely when the gun is cocked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Leuchtpistole L "Fliegerleuchtpistole"”