why cardboard?

jtns63
User

why cardboard?

Post by jtns63 »

Hello
I have an empty cartridge case, inside it is made of cardboard and it is from 1944, why is it made of cardboard? Is it due to late war time or shortage of raw materials such as aluminum? And is it somewhere for example a website where I can buy different empty holsters, in different colors ,? .. Or where I can buy signal cartridge bakelite container (like the one in the picture)
rgds
jtns63
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ron3350
User

Re: why cardboard?

Post by ron3350 »

The E Green single star flare had a steel base and an aluminium covered paper case.
I think the E was a different flare compound to the ones from 1940-43?
dbc is filled by Felix Deichmann Feuerwerkslaboratorien, Velten/Mark. If dbc is on the headstamp they also made the case.

Should have a green paper wad at the mouth. Green has a smooth rim.
The Aluminium was an attempt to make the waterproofing better on 83mm paper cases.
I do not have any of these aluminium covered paper cased flare signals. I hope this helps you with information.

I got my red and green bakelite containers from USA c.2000. I have not seen any for sale in Australia. Ron.
jtns63
User

Re: why cardboard?

Post by jtns63 »

Hello Ron

Many thanks for the reply. Yes that help on my ignorance about this cardboard, then I got a little wiser.
I have just started collecting on this branch (signal gun + empty holster cartridges of different colors) .. Usually I only collect on the Sg 1884/98 III bayonet (also have some from WW1) but felt like expanding my collections with signal equipment, my signal gun is a LP 42 *Galvano* Caliber 4 (26.5 mm) and hope my knowledge would grow.

jtns63

Return to “Discuss the flare gun forum”