Lanyard Ring M8

Tulahex
User

Lanyard Ring M8

Post by Tulahex »

Recently picked up a "special contract" M8 with a lanyard ring of the same type that was described in another post. It has seen better days but I bought it anyway, mainly because of the low serial number. I was wondering if any new information has come out about these or who they were made for. Mine is 1942 dated and serial number ATS 56. Also it appears to have the same lanyard as the one in Signalman's post. Were they issued with these?
2FA0C2FA-1599-428C-8A61-AE2A65F06D85.jpeg
CA2AF7E2-26DD-4425-9473-D8A892837904.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
signalman
User

Re: Lanyard Ring M8

Post by signalman »

Yes, There is a series of M-8 all with Blued Finish, and in their own serial number range that were manufactured with the Lanyard. These were manufactured this way.

There is another series of M-8 all with a painted black finish which has an integral 25mm liner. Probably for clandestine night use where a 37mm flare would be too bright and attract the enemy from much further distances than a 25mm flare. These appear to be arsenal conversions of a standard 37mm flare pistol.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
Tulahex
User

Post by Tulahex »

signalman wrote: Tue 26 Jan 2021, 20:52 Yes, There is a series of M-8 all with Blued Finish, and in their own serial number range that were manufactured with the Lanyard. These were manufactured this way.

There is another series of M-8 all with a painted black finish which has an integral 25mm liner. Probably for clandestine night use where a 37mm flare would be too bright and attract the enemy from much further distances than a 25mm flare. These appear to be arsenal conversions of a standard 37mm flare pistol.
Thanks for the information. Has anybody figured out who the ones with special serial numbers were made for?
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

What special serial numbers ?

It is simply a separate serial number range for a separate contract of M-8's, blued and with lanyard ring.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
Tulahex
User

Post by Tulahex »

signalman wrote: Wed 27 Jan 2021, 01:24 What special serial numbers ?

It is simply a separate serial number range for a separate contract of M-8's, blued and with lanyard ring.
The separate serial number range is what I meant by "special serial numbers." Sorry for the confusion, I probably should have used different wording. I was under the impression that they were produced for someone other than the Army Air Force, which is who I assume the vast majority of M8 went to. If I am wrong in assuming this please correct me. So I guess what I am saying is: has anyone figured out why these are different than the rest? Who requested that they carry a separate serial number range and include a lanyard ring?

Thanks for the help and sorry that I have a difficult time articulating myself correctly!

Return to “Eureka Vacuum Cleaner Co Mark 8”