Harrington and Richardson Arms Co Mark 4

Producer:
Harrington and Richardson Arms Co, Worcester
Production: ?
Caliber: 37 mm
Length: 266 mm
Weight: 2100 gram
usahandrmark4.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
guy sajer
User

Re: Harrington and Richardson Arms Co Mark 4

Post by guy sajer »

Very nice example !

I had a "US" marked 10ga H&R a few years back . It had the grip of the 999 style 22 revolver . Pretty cool .
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

The Mark 4 Harrington & Richardson Flare pistol comes in a variety of metals. It can be blued steel, Bronze, Brass, or Aluminum framed, which is my favorite. The Aluminum version can have the Breech either Aluminum, or with Varied amounts of Brass. Note the Aluminum frame version is Considerably lighter than the other versions. Pictured below are 2 different Aluminum framed versions.

The upper version has an aluminum breech block as well, and is extremely lightweight. The second pistol has a brass breech block which adds considerable weight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
964AWACS
User

Post by 964AWACS »

Any idea when the Mark IVs were produced? And of the variants you mention, is there a suspected order that they were produced? Were all actually produced, or were some perhaps experimental?
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Hello, Surprisingly little is known about H&R flare pistols. They manufactured quite a large array of different variations, more than any other USA manufacturer with the possible exception of Sedgley. This model in my opinion probably was manufactured after WWI, and possibly through WWII. This is Opinion only, no facts to back it up.

The variations I have seen fall into distinctive serial number blocks, so they the 4 variations I note were all produced. I have not seen any I would say are experimental but there must have been some. The rarest version is the lightweight aluminum one. They are difficult to find, yet because of their light weight I would guess they would have been the most desirable to have in an emergency.

Robert Gaynors book on Flare Guns & Signal Pistols suggests that the Mark IV is commercial. I believe that they were also used by the military.

Sorry that there is no more information that I am aware of, There is a great need for research into these fine guns.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !

Return to “Harrington and Richardson Arms Co Mark 4”