Czech, RV 85, 26.5mm tactical (riot) rifle

SlickRick
User

Czech, RV 85, 26.5mm tactical (riot) rifle

Post by SlickRick »

After ending up with a peculiar looking 26.5mm "flare" round, research lead me to this rifle. A single shot, break-open design. The paperwork for this example is dated 1988. It came NIB with all sorts of accessories; canvas case, cleaning kit, tool set, test target, spare parts and manuals. Luckily, there are some folks on another forum I frequent that can translate the text. Not that there is anything complicated about the gun, but it'd be nice to know if there are any relevent warnings.
Will have to wait to test fire it. Living in the woods as I do, and it being fall, with resultant leaves, a burning flare ember would probably create an event I'd just as soon avoid. I'm already known to the local Forestry Service fire fighting team. Enough said about that.
Anyway, here's the latest addition to the flare gun collection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SlickRick
User

Re: Czech, RV 85, 26.5mm tactical (riot) rifle

Post by SlickRick »

The tactical round is based on the long flare case with the head being crimped for ID and use only in this type weapon. The crimps also prevent it's use in a "normal" flare gun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SlickRick
User

Post by SlickRick »

Some of the stuff in the box.
Jaymo
User

Post by Jaymo »

I wish I could find the tear gas rounds for mine.

I thought about installing a Romanian, red Bakelite pistol grip on mine. It looks cool, but the factory grip is way more comfortable, in fact, it feels perfect. Sure would like to find a bunch of the factory pistol grips. They feel better than what come on any AK.

I thought about making line-throwing rounds for mine. Sure would make it easier to get my climbing rope over those TALL tree limbs.
Of course, it would probably require a vastly decreased powder charge, unless I wanted to climb some HUGE redwoods.
I bet it'll throw a line a LONG way.

I've thought about loading some rounds with OC powder. It's NOT anti-personnell, but it sure part a violent mob like Moses parting the Red Sea.
Should be good bear protection, too. Better range than pepper spray, and still nonlethal.

It's an amazing launcher, no doubt. I still can't get over how tough it is.

Maybe I should load some shells up with OC AND garlic powder. That way, it'll repel violent felons AND vampires. ;)

I've thought about registering mine as a DD, because it would be and amazing HD gun, loaded with #4 buck.
Problem is, I don't know what kind of pressures it can handle.
So, I'll just stick to having fun with smoke canisters and flares.
Who needs fireworks?
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Extremely well made, probably the very best value in the entire post-war flare gun market.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
Jaymo
User

Post by Jaymo »

signalman wrote:Extremely well made, probably the very best value in the entire post-war flare gun market.
I'm inclined to agree. It's very stout.

Very possibly, the best value in the entire post-war gun market.
Jaymo
User

Post by Jaymo »

I was thinking it might be fun to cut a length of slow burning cannon fuse into a bunch of 3/4" to 1" lengths and launch them into the air at night, just to watch them.
RV85FL
User

Post by RV85FL »

They are incredible launchers for sure. I've had a blast showing mine off to friends and family. The more I dig into them, the more I learn. They were built for the Check Special Forces and were designed to bust through 40MM walls. According to what I've found, these were built to assist in Airplane Hijackings and other type of civilian situations that didn't require lethal force, but something that would slam a tear gas canister through a wall. Definitely not intended for just signal flares and the test target and sights on the launcher prove it was intended for some degree of accuracy higher than a standard marking flare gun.

The rounds are fun to shoot, but I'm thinking a DD Registration would only make this thing that much more fun. ;) Who can say Small Shoulder Mounted Cannon?

It seems to be built better than some of my break open shotguns. I'll let you guys know how the Spring testing goes.

Also - I have a few of these in stock and for sale. If you're interested, let me know or I can point you to Gun Broker on some of my auctions.

Cheers!

Jay
964AWACS
User

Post by 964AWACS »

On the left side of the frame below the barrel there is a milled horizontal slot with a screw hole just beyond each end. I would guess that is designed for some sort of attachment, possibly an optic. Does anyone know the actual purpose of that slot?

Return to “Teargas flare guns”