20mm Single Shot WWII Japanese Flare pistol

signalman
User

20mm Single Shot WWII Japanese Flare pistol

Post by signalman »

This is a Crude, Sheet Metal Designed 20mm flare pistol

I do not remember if this model is called the type 4 or type 5 version. The other being the Rare, but slightly more common double barrel. 4 of these single barrels are known, and I have 2 different versions in my collection.

This first example has a flat plate for a grip on the left side. Note it also has Kanji markings for the safety.

This flare gun is the crudest Manufactured flare pistol I have ever run across. They were Last Ditch guns produced near the end of the war and is believed to have a double purpose of acting as a shotgun to defend the home Islands of Japan. I would NOT have wanted to fire this with a shotgun shell.

The USA Liberator sheet metal .45 is a Much Much stronger and well made design than this rare flare pistol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
signalman
User

Re: 20mm Single Shot WWII Japanese Flare pistol

Post by signalman »

My second example has no Kanji markings for the safety, and has both grips ribbed.

Hard to imagine a more ugly looking factory produced pistol than these two examples.

They are Beautiful to my eyes, however.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
Brian Keith
User

Post by Brian Keith »

A musem I'm associated with has one of these, I've been looking for my photo's to post here, but haven't found them yet. When I do, (or may reshoot them) I'll post them.
Are your examples the ones pictured in "Japanese Military Cartridge Handguns 1893-1945" by
Harry L. Derby & James D. Brown?
BKW
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Hello, Yes, they are the ones in Derby's book. I will picture both my 20mm double barrels when I find them.

One ( not mine ) of the double barrels just sold on Gunbroker for $2,775.

Brian Keith
User

Post by Brian Keith »

I found my photo's of the 20mm single barrel that a museum I'm associated with has. You will note it is serial numbered 610. It does not have any other marking if I remember correctly. I have posted these photos on an other collector site a few years ago when it was first donated to the museum and I was trying to find info about it. Then I got Derby's book and it was ID'd in there. I took it down to the SOS one year and showed it to the "Banzi" guys. The veteran who brought it back was a US Navy officer, stationed in Tokyo right after the war. I would not really want to fire a flare out of this, let alone anything else!
Comments welcome!
You mentioned the Liberator, I live about 45 miles from where they were made by Guide Lamp in Anderson, IN. I told my wife that after my Afghanistan deployment, I'm going to buy one! (The army pays E-8's pretty well) It has been on my wish list for YEARS! An interesting Indiana Made item.
BKW
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Where is this museum?? It is a Beautiful example.

It is amazing that with 600 made, only about 5 are known.

There must be others hidden out there in some collections.

Unless most of these Last Ditch guns were in fact melted down or dumped in the Ocean.

Brian Keith
User

Post by Brian Keith »

It is in the Museum of the Soldier, Inc. in Portland, IN. A small, veterans history museum. I may be able to show it to you at the next SOS if I can make it. My guess is that most were destroyed, why bring home such an "ugly" thing when you could have a nice sword, rifle or pistol. The sad thing is, we didn't get it till the veteran had passed away so we can't ask him where he got it.
I'm pleased you enjoyed seeing it. I so much like seeing all the things posted on this forum.
BKW

Return to “Other & unidentified Japanese flare guns”