USN Marked French Mechanicarm Model 1917

signalman
User

USN Marked French Mechanicarm Model 1917

Post by signalman »

This is one of my 2 U.S.N. marked French Mechanicarm Model 1917's. It is marked U.S.N. just below the opening lever.

This one has great provenience, as it was given to the Captain of the USS George Washington - EDWIN T. POLLOCK, by the crew, when he was reassigned. The gift contained the flare pistol, as well as a divers knife, compass, Optics of some kind, and a book containing all the issues of an onboard newsletter put out for the crew.

The USS George Washington started out as a German passenger ship which was scuttled in New York Harbor when war started, and thought a total loss by the Germans. The Americans, however, had the ship afloat within six months, re-named it the George Washington, and used it to ferry more soldiers and supplies to Europe than any other U.S.Navy ship of that era. When the war ended, this ship brought the President to Europe to sign the Treaty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
Brian Keith
User

Re: USN Marked French Mechanicarm Model 1917

Post by Brian Keith »

WOW! It took my breath away when I saw the photo!
Thanks for showing it.
BKW

Return to “Mechanicarm Model 1917”