Two Chobert System flare rifles

breakeyp
User

Two Chobert System flare rifles

Post by breakeyp »

These WWI period 26.5mm launchers are based on conversions of the French GRAS rifle. The top gun has a bolt that opens full travel to allow the barrel to tip down. The design is unmarked but believed to have been done at Chobert's Paris gunsmith/gunshop.

The second launcher is a modification of the Chobert sysem and is marked as being a license of Chobert and was done by car maker SIDARME who also manufactured the Chauchat machine rifle. Hicks' "French Military Weapons" refers to it as the model 1866/74 transformed to a signal gun 1916. Its bolt is partially opened agains a spring force, about 3/8 inch travel to allow the barrel to tip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
K & K Collection
User

Re: Two Chobert System flare rifles

Post by K & K Collection »

Hi,

I have six different French flare gun riffles ( see a few topics before ). They have the calliber of 25 mm, like all the French flare guns, exept the 37 mm calibers.
There is only one French riffle changed for the German army, and they have the 26,5 mm caliber ( see also my topic ). This one is a very,very dificult riffle to find.

Best regards
K & K Collection
breakeyp
User

Post by breakeyp »

K & K Collection wrote:Hi,

I have six different French flare gun riffles ( see a few topics before ). They have the calliber of 25 mm, like all the French flare guns, exept the 37 mm calibers.
There is only one French riffle changed for the German army, and they have the 26,5 mm caliber ( see also my topic ). This one is a very,very dificult riffle to find.

Best regards

Thanks for the correction. One came with a cartridge (26.5mm) in a cloth bag and I kept the two togther for 15 years without ever trying it in the gun! You are certainly right===it does not fit.
bergler
User

Post by bergler »

I would love to have a Chobert (or lebel)....if anybody has one for sale or trade, let me know!
K & K Collection
User

Post by K & K Collection »

Hi Bergler,

Last year I have a fiew for sale, but you know, when somebody needs one, you don't find one. When i'll found one, i'll let you know.

Best regards
K & K Collection
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Can I ask what you sold them for ??
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !

Return to “Other & unidentified French flare guns”