Webley & Scott MKIII* Line Thrower

tony645
User

Webley & Scott MKIII* Line Thrower

Post by tony645 »

This is an early Webley & Scott MKIII* converted to a Line Thrower. Dated '13, serial number 1813.

Does anyone know what Patent Number 179997 covers ?

What does S I SVD stand for ?

Thanks for your help, Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr.E13
User

Re: Webley & Scott MKIII* Line Thrower

Post by Dr.E13 »

Hello Tony,

I believe the original date of production is 1915. I think the 1813 serial # was added during the refiting post war.

Patent number 179997 was issued by Great Britain to inventors Augustus & Concordd Schermuly in 1922. It covers improvements in means for firing and propelling rockets.

The nice Schermuly Line Thrower in your collection is what they were talking about. I lack any engineering skills so it's difficult to describe more detail. The patent drawings pretty well show your piece.

Your pistol spent several years, during WW I, as a signal (flare) pistol. Sometime post war it was refitted to serve as a Schermuly Line Thrower.

Nice item!
Last edited by Dr.E13 on Sun 15 Jul 2012, 04:36, edited 1 time in total.
May your collection grow and prosper.

Dr.E13
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Hello, Actually a Webley & Scott Mark III * flaregun frame with serial # 1813 would be 1913 production, not 1915. I cannot make out the date proof on the frame however. A closeup would be helpful.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
AlanD
User

Post by AlanD »

The 1 LB 1N stamping show it has been taken into Royal Naval service, this marking means one pound (weight of projectile) Mark 1 N (for Royal Navy). It has been up-graded to Mk111* by the addition of the hammer stop safety. This would have been done when the pistol was converted to a line thrower, in February 1932 , if I am reading the marking 2.32 correctly. I can't quite read the proof date but it looks to be 13 as signalman has commented.

Any chance of a couple of close-ups of the markings please?

Regards

AlanD
Sydney
tony645
User

Post by tony645 »

DRE13 - Thanks to you, I GOOGLED the patent number and found a copy of the original. The brass barrel has a large 266 stamped on the left side, maybe this is the refit serial number. You can make it out in the photo if you look real close.

SIGNALMAN - The barrel lug is also stamped 1813, so you are correct. The close ups are the best I can get with my camera. The dates under the proof marks are just a blurr, even with a good magnifying glass.

AlanD - Looking forward to getting your book. 2-32 is clearly stamped - nice to know what it means.

I am continually amazed at the wealth of knowledge our members have, and their willingness to share it.

Thanks, Tony
tony645
User

Post by tony645 »

Got a new camera - was able to get a better picture of the date stamp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Yes, Tony645 The date the frame was manufactured was in 1913.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !

Return to “Line throwers”