HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON Mark III - One Inch

survivalrescue
User

Re: HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON Mark III - One Inch

Post by survivalrescue »

Through the 1920's, when the USAAC was in search of a suitable projector for aircraft, they used a variety of commercial types. These were all typically the 25mm types (one inch) or 10 gauge pistols. They had no universal standard until the adoption of the M2.
Those longer barreled H&R pistols were intended to fire a parachute type signal as well, which used longer cartridges. This basic data sheet from the USAAC illustrates some of this pistol. Note the "A" signifies Alloy or aluminum, The bars version seen above was technical "B" for Brass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

I have 3 Mark III Brass examples. One is Navy marked, so they were probably made for more than just the USAAC. They are quite difficult to find.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
survivalrescue
User

Post by survivalrescue »

I found vague reference to the US Navy purchasing other models outside of the Remington Mark-III. I only mention the Mark-III since I'm referring to post WWI. At some point, Remington stopped making the Mark-III and to supplement demands, was when the Navy purchased other models to supplement demand. The cease of production, that I gathered, was sometime in the latter part of the 1930's.
It is interesting to know about the Navy marked H&R pistol.

Return to “Other & unidentified American flare guns”