ERMA-WERK LP-4 from 1957 - Eickhorn Marked !

signalman
User

ERMA-WERK LP-4 from 1957 - Eickhorn Marked !

Post by signalman »

This is an Erma-Werk LP-4 dated 1957. It has the unusual Dagger & Blade maker mark of Eickhorn with its Squirrel logo.

Does anybody know why it has the Eickhorn mark ??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
JoeW
User

Re: ERMA-WERK LP-4 from 1957 - Eickhorn Marked !

Post by JoeW »

Howard, I can only surmise that Eickhorn was getting back on their feet in the post war time and took any contracts they could to keep their work force going. I notice the gun has a Bavarian crest next to the Federal eagle. Was that where the proof house was? Also, note the serial "E 235". Curious that 1950s era Walther P1s were numbered in "E xxx" contract for the W.German government.
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

"Was that where the proof house was?"

Joe, I do not know that. In Wolfgangs book the proof is called the Abnahmestempel. Is that the proof house mark ?

The Prefix letter on the LP-4 in 1957 is known to be at least from A to G. Only the few I got from Century arms in the late 70's has the Eickhorn mark, and all Eickhorns seem to have the E prefix.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
Pilot7474
User

Post by Pilot7474 »

Could it be that Eickhorn is meant as a retailers marking? They started up their company selling what they were best at, cutlery and uniform swords, but they may have ventured into the "military accessories" market.
Anyone have an Eickhorn catalog of that period?
AR-50A1
User

Post by AR-50A1 »

Hello Howard,

I recently purchased a LP-4-56 from a collector in Florida that was made in 1957, serial number E252 (seventeen units higher than yours), has the Eickhorn Squirrel logo, and has the same proofs on the right side of the barrel's receiver.

I cannot tell on your pistol but the top of the receiver has an ERMA logo, is marked ERMA-WERKE, B. Geipel G.m.b.H., Munchen - Dachau

The barrel assembly is made of aluminum (anodized finish) and the frame appears also to be made from aluminum with a phosphate finish.

This one is going to the range!

Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

This is a great model, Mine is marked similar to yours. The Eickhorn marking with squirrel is the same as the blade manufacturer. It is the marking that is most puzzling.

Were these flare pistols produced by Eickhorn ? were they marketed by Eickhorn ? were they contracted by Eichorn for their use at the Eickhorn factory ( If so, why would they need so many ) ?? Did they serve another purpose than shooting flares ???

I am sure you can think of many other questions regarding these. One thing, since they are postwar 1957 era there must be some records to show why the Eickhorn marking and what they were used for. Who has these records ??

billybibbet
User

Post by billybibbet »

Quick question: What is the correct period holster for the LP-4?
billybibbet
User

Post by billybibbet »

billybibbet wrote:Quick question: What is the correct period holster for the LP-4?
Anyone?? I am in the process of obtaining one from another forum member, and would like to know the correct holster. Thanks in advance to you all for sharing your knowledge.
Gotavapen
User

Post by Gotavapen »

Here is a late Erma LP4-56

Return to “Other & unidentified German flare guns”