LP34 in steel - from 1943!

bergler
User

LP34 in steel - from 1943!

Post by bergler »

Here is my latest aquisition.........it is a LP34 from Walther in steel. So far nothing really special. But this one is stamped ac43 which I have never seen before and I find very remarkable. At this time of the war (1943) the much cheaper LP42 was already introduced, and some LP34 in Aluminium were still made. But a LP34 in steel at this time is something that should not have been produced anymore, in fact the steel examples should have been discontinued since a few years. I have seen an ac42 example before which I thought is very special, and this one is even later. I think Signalman has an example as well, if I remember a comment a while ago.
This example bears all details of a late LP34 production....small hammer, the opening spring is simplified, The lever to open the gun is made of pressed steel instead of a machined part. And the grips are of the late wooden type that can be found from time to time on late models. So this gun was not a left over, it was actually at least assembled very late in the war. And I thought that this gun must have been assembled from left- over parts. But if you look closely one can see that the surface finish is much rougher and coarser than on "normal" steel examples. I compared to some other steel Walthers that I have, and this one is definately different in making. So this leaves the conclusion to me that it might have been produced - not onls assembled - in 1943.
If you have a similar item it would be very interesting to compare - making, parts etc etc.
Ser# is 2817a.
Regards,
Bergler
Last edited by bergler on Thu 24 Jan 2013, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
bergler
User

Re: LP34 in steel - from 1943!

Post by bergler »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bergler
User

Post by bergler »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bergler
User

Post by bergler »

bergler
User

Post by bergler »

signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Although the LP-42 had begun production, Walther kept producing their flare pistols. In 1942 and 1943 they produced the model 34 in Aluminum, Steel, and Zinc. That was smart, as it took a while for the LP-42 to prove its worth.

Why, when fighting a war, would you stop production of a successful flaregun when the assembly lines are already set up. Also, I am sure Walther had contracts that were outstanding, and had to be filled.

Obviously in 1944 production of flareguns by Walther virtually stopped except for the SLD. The LP=42 of course was in full production by that time.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
bergler
User

Post by bergler »

Hi, it is clear that Walther (and not only Walther) continued to produce the LP34 in 1943. But, and that is my whole point, why did they make some examples in Steel? The steel production should have been discontinued by some years then, and there should have been production in Zinc in 1943, although many Lp34 in Aluminium were produced as well. The aluminium version was introduced in 1936 as far as I know, to phase out the steel version. So then, 7 years later, there are some (I think very few) examples still in steel? The Zinc version never really replaced the Aluminium version totally as the time- overlap (and material problems) wasn´t long enough. This is what puzzles me.
I think you have 2 examples (ac43) yourself? Could you post the Serial numbers for comparison? Thanks!
Any further thoughts welcome!
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Hi, my two serial numbers are 2266a and 2661a.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
gunnertwo
User

Post by gunnertwo »

Recently acquired Walther LP34 ac43, produced in steel, serial number "2782 a".

I had the same questions. Any idea on quantity produced? Can be that many.

Thanks,

G2
bergler
User

Post by bergler »

so we have from 2266a to 2817a. Say 400 in between. I am sure it will be a bit more, but not too may.

One Point....all Ser# communicated here have Suffix "a". Would be nice to get a few more examples!

Return to “Leuchtpistole 34”