photo of a coston flare from Europe in the 1860's or 70's

signalman
User

photo of a coston flare from Europe in the 1860's or 70's

Post by signalman »

Does anyone have a photo or example of a European Coston Flare from the 1860's or 1870's??

Was it used in a pistol, or in a metal container ??

Does anyone have a photo or example of a European made Coston Flare pistol.

It is well established that Martha Coston sold the Patent rights to her flares to various European Countries during this period, including France, Germany, Italy, Sweden, and Holland.

I wish to know what these signals looked like, and how they were used, and what type of pistol or holder was used.

Please, if you have any information, no matter how much, please let the forum know.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
hotto
User

Re: photo of a coston flare from Europe in the 1860's or 70'

Post by hotto »

Hi Howard

Around 1870 the Dutch Navy was a device for the Coston signals. This device was called a "tang voor Coston seinlichten". The license rights were at that time purchased from the Netherlands.

Best regards
Horst
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Thank you Horst, do you have a photo or drawing of the flare that was used by this device. It looks like ( in my opinion ) it uses a Later style flare than the type that would be used in the 1860's and in the US Civil War.

This is one of I suspect, many variations of Coston flare devices and pistols. Still looking for more variations, especially from the EARLY 1860's - 1877 era.

And still looking for early examples of flares.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
hotto
User

Post by hotto »

Hi Howard

the signal lights, with a caliber of 36mm, were composed of a wooden block, containing a paper case with a flare and pipe clay. In an opening in the bottom of the spool was the cartridge case of a 9.4 mm revolver pressed, with primers, but without powder charge. A little slow match ran from the cartridge case to the flare. The various types of signal lights had at the top a slice of paper in the color of the signal. On the side was a label showing month and year of production.

Best regards
Horst
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Thank you again. Very good information. We must be on the lookout for an existing flare.

Hopefully, someone will come up with an 1860's era Flare device, and possible flare for use in Europe.

Return to “Other & unidentified American flare guns”