Rare russian flare gun----model 26

bergler
User

Rare russian flare gun----model 26

Post by bergler »

I have aquired this russian flare gun recently. It looks similar than the OSP30, but the angle of the grip, the opening mechanism, the trigger spring and other details are different. I did not know this model but have learned that it is a Model26, the predecessor of the OSP30. I have not seen one in natura before, even when having been able to examine more than 40 OSP30 so far. So I think it is a rather rare bird ;-)
In comparison to it I show a “normal” OSP30 in steel where one can see the differences. And, underneath, another variation of the OSP30 where parts of the frame are not steel but brass. There are some other differences like the lanyard loop design and others as well. And, last but not least, the Hungarian MV43 which looks quite similar in angle and design to the Model26 I think. For sure it took some ideas from this model ;-)

Any comments or more information welcome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bergler
User

Re: Rare russian flare gun----model 26

Post by bergler »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bergler on Tue 15 Jul 2014, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
bergler
User

Post by bergler »

Proff
User

Post by Proff »

bergler wrote:...
You are a lucky man. SP-26 is very rare gun and your gun is in very good condition.
You are not the only one who has a gun, bitch!
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Yes, I need an example in my collection as well !
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
Weiss
User

Post by Weiss »

Congratulations. SP 26 is a very rare model. Condition is excellent. If no mystery where we bought? Lower Hungarian rocket launcher.
bergler
User

Post by bergler »

Weiss wrote:Congratulations. SP 26 is a very rare model. Condition is excellent. If no mystery where we bought? Lower Hungarian rocket launcher.
Hi, no mystery ;-)

this flare gun came amongst others from the Balkan. Some OSP30 and romanian flare guns as well. Only one SP26.
Proff
User

Post by Proff »

I'll add some pictures from my collection as well.
Weiss
User

Post by Weiss »

This is the second CAP 26?
Proff
User

Post by Proff »

In russian forums the SP-26 is often called V. I. Rdultovski’s flare gun or sometimes V. G. Fedorov’s flare gun. Which statement is correct? Both men were famous russian gunmakers and they have been constructed many different items with military function. Also it has been said quite often that the SP-26 and the OSP-30 are the same guns. Although they look alike, the mechanics are slightly different. In my opinion, SP-26 was constructed by V. I. Rdultovski in 1926. As a matter of fact the SP-26 was the first flare gun made in Soviet Russia that was officially taken into use in the Red Army of the Soviet Russia in 1929. It is very likely that the SP-26 was produced only three to four years and the exact number of flare guns made in that periood is unknown. Mine has a serial number 2822 on it. Our forum companion Bergler has an SP-26 with a serial number 3305. A well-preserved SP-26 is a rare find nowadays.
In 1930 an SP-26 was reconstructed in Izhevski’s armory, under a command of V. G. Fedorov. Springs were replaced and a shape of the flare gun was slightly changed. They also modernized the production that made it possible to lower the manufacturing costs. The new model was then named OSP-30. That model was produced till 1944, but it was used for many decades after that.
If anybody else has any other information or thoughts about this flare gun, then i would be more than happy if you could share it with me and other members of this nice forum.

Return to “Russian and other communist block countries' flare guns”