1859 COSTON CIVIL WAR PROTOTYPE FLARE PISTOL

signalman
User

1859 COSTON CIVIL WAR PROTOTYPE FLARE PISTOL

Post by signalman »

This is one of three known Coston Civil War Prototype flare pistols. Dated 1859, at least 8 ( based on one being serial # 8 ) and possibly more of these prototypes were produced.

Note the position of the rectangular vent hole.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
signalman
User

Re: 1859 COSTON CIVIL WAR PROTOTYPE FLARE PISTOL

Post by signalman »

This is the second of the three Civil War Prototype flare pistols known.

Note the position of the vent hole on this example, and differences in the address located on the grip, from the first example.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
signalman
User

Re: COSTON CIVIL WAR PROTOTYPE FLARE PISTOL

Post by signalman »

This is the third known Civil War Prototype Flare Pistol. Unlike the other two, this one is shaped like a hand held torch. It is not dated, and has the percussion cap nipple on a rotating block, hidden in the top end of the pistol.

Like all Civil War era Coston flare pistols the Flare burns while on the pistol, It is not projected into the air.

signalman
User

Post by signalman »

more views

Dr.E13
User

Post by Dr.E13 »

Wonder?? if
this is a Coston prototype???
May your collection grow and prosper.

Dr.E13
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

What else could it be ? ?

Return to “Other & unidentified American flare guns”