1889 or 1899 German Submarine Flare Pistols

signalman
User

Re: 1889 or 1899 German Submarine Flare Pistols

Post by signalman »

Prototypes are usually different in some way other than markings, and usually would have a low single digit serial number, if any.

I cannot see any machining differences in your pistol from an 1899 plus the serial number is a 2 digit number. It most likely is not a prototype for those reasons. At best, in my opinion, it is an early example, or Commercial Variation.

Most collectors prefer the Military Proofs so the low serial number Military proofed pistols would have a higher value.

Do not get me wrong, Restored, it is still a rare and desirable Flare Pistol.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
IntoArt
User

Post by IntoArt »

Thank you for the added information, Signalman. I'll send you a PM as I would very much appreciate you seeing the pistol in person.
Philip
User

Post by Philip »

I have one serial number aw.w. 15 228. I can't seem to be able to attach a picture , file too large.
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Thank you, signalman
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !

Return to “Other & unidentified German flare guns”