Walther Model SL

AR-50A1
User

Re: Walther Model SL

Post by AR-50A1 »

Hi Howard,

Your assessment makes sense as the bore was absolutely gunked-up right where the 'barrel band' is located. I wish I had taken a picture of the bore prior to cleaning it. At the time I was more concerned with a metal failure (a crack or hole) in the barrel. Hindsight is 20-20.

Rock Island Auction Company now has the flare pistol for their inspection.

Bill
billybibbet
User

Post by billybibbet »

signalman wrote:It is possible a flare could have been fired, and for whatever reason, ( lack of propellant powder, or obstruction in the barrel ) my guess is that the flare burned IN THE BARREL, causing this heat damage.
Excellent and likely reason. I've seen burned handguards from high volumes of shooting in a rifle, forgot that a flare stuck in the bore could cause this, or if the lifting charge failed to ignite...yet still ignited the flare. ;)
AR-50A1
User

Post by AR-50A1 »

Good Evening Gentlemen,

As I stated in the beginning of this thread, I returned what I believed was a damaged flare pistol that I 'won' through Rock Island Auction Company's September Premium Auction. Today I received a full refund check for the damaged Walther Leuchpistole SL that I 'won' during that auction (hammer price as well as the buyer's premium). I did not ask for a refund - all I did was send the flare pistol back to them for their inspection.

Rock Island Auction Company, in my humble opinion, did the right thing. I do not know who they contacted or what was said to verify that this pistol was safe or unsafe to fire.

Cassandra Braeckevelt, Customer Service Team Leader at RIA, sent me a very nice letter that accompanied the check. I certainly appreciate her support in this matter.

I will continue to participate in the RIA auctions while, at the same time, keeping a close eye on the written descriptions and photos.

Bill
Willi
User

Post by Willi »

Well that is good that all worked out. Something to be said for protecting a good name.
gunnertwo
User

Post by gunnertwo »

Bill, glad it worked out in your favor. I'm sure one will end up in your stable soon.

G2
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

I have a couple of nice examples, but I will not part with either of them for less than $5,000.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !

Return to “Leuchtpistole Sl”