M8 MSWC Acquisition

somd_mustangs
User

M8 MSWC Acquisition

Post by somd_mustangs »

Ran across this yesterday and couldn't see a downside to adding it to my meager but slowly growing signal pistol collection.
Hopefully this is the right place to post it...

M8 made by McInerny Spring and Wire Company (MSWC) and seems to be in pretty good condition.
Not having any examples to judge against, I assume it's correct with parkerized steel parts and painted aluminum frame.
Other than the manufacturer marking on the right side, there is the S/N of 291204 stamped into the backstrap,
and a partially marked "P" (looks more like an "F" because part is missing) and the crossed-cannons/ordnance wheel on bottom of the butt.

Other than the unfortunate wear mark down the right side of the barrel the finish is actually pretty solid with only a few other rub/handling marks.
The "chamber face" looks extremely clean as does the firing pin, and this probably hasn't been fired much at all.

It came in yellow high-impact plastic box marked "Pyrotechnic Kit" (60's/70's vintage?) with 12 assorted flares:
(1) "Signal Flash & Sound, M74 (?)" dated Nov 1953
(4) "Signal, Illumination, Aircraft AN-M45-A2 Single Star" dated Jan 1958 (green)
(2) "Signal, Illumination, Aircraft AN-M37-A2 Double Star" dated Aug 1967 (red)
(5) "Signal, Illumination, Aircraft AN-M39-A2 Double Star" dated Jul 1970 (green)

The box is pretty much worse for wear, and there is a nice mark that corresponds to the wear on the barrel - guess some grit got in there and did it's worst.

It's been frustrating trying to track down more detailed information on these, so questions abound. A few:
1) What's the approximate year of mfg? I'm guessing 1944/45?
2) Did MSWC have assigned blocks of S/N's like the mfg's for 1911-A1's, etc?
3) Is there any info on numbers made? (I saw the rough swag in the title thread of 80% EVCC / 20% MSWC)

At $300 for the set I figure I did ok, does that seem reasonable?

thanks...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
somd_mustangs
User

Re: M8 MSWC Acquisition

Post by somd_mustangs »

close-up of markings and chamber face...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
964AWACS
User

Post by 964AWACS »

First - congrats on a nice acquisition! Price-wise you did very well - I think the flares alone are probably worth close to what you paid.

Not sure about the manufacture date on your M8, but I believe EVCC switched from blued to parkerized finish in 1943. If MSWC was similar, then your guess of 1944-1945 may be right. Hopefully someone with more concrete knowledge will chime in.

It is my understanding that the yellow container with the molded place-holder for the flare gun and the flares is Vietnam war era. There has been a seller listing NOS empty ones on gunbroker lately.

Hope this helps.
--Rob
somd_mustangs
User

Post by somd_mustangs »

Thanks...

it does make me feel more comfortable.

I've seen the NOS yellow containers on GB, they look identical to the one that came with mine (other than mine is pretty beat up).
It does have the look/feel of 1960's/70's plastic work.

Return to “Eureka Vacuum Cleaner Co Mark 8”