Harrington & Richardson flare gun variation

Hebel94
User

Harrington & Richardson flare gun variation

Post by Hebel94 »

Hello,

I recently found this Harrington & Richardson flare gun. You will note that the butt is from the Enfield gun as for the W&S n°1 Mk I but the fixing is made of brass.

It has British military proofs but does not show any serial number. H&R is indicated as the manufacturer on the barrel. It is very well made and does not look like a "rush job".

Have you ever come across this model?

I would be interested to have your views.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
signalman
User

Re: Harrington & Richardson flare gun variation

Post by signalman »

I do know the Pakistani's or India or both make reproduction stocks for the No.1 Mk. 1, and it is possible to adapt them to an H&R 1900.
Their Cottage Gun industry is quite good.

This one looks original from the photo's, and I would guess it is real. Usually a unique prototype of H&R would have a letter and a low number serial number, although not always.

From the British proofs it also could be an H&R 1900 from the H&R British contract, and then reworked by the British to add the stock, kind of a prototype for the Webley No.1 Mk1.

A close examination would probably give more clues to exactly what it is.
Last edited by signalman on Wed 20 Apr 2016, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
Hebel94
User

Post by Hebel94 »

Hello Signalman,

Thank you for this which is very useful, as always.

I will post further pictures to help your analysis.
Hebel94
User

Post by Hebel94 »

Hello,

You will find additional pictures of the flare pistol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AlanD
User

Post by AlanD »

The gun shows typical British military acceptance marks and is one of the 3,000 purchased under the contract in WW1. This being the case I do not think it is a British prototype as such.There were a lot more W&S No1 Mk1's made than the 3,000 H&R's, so I don't believe there would have been a program to convert these H&R's during the war. I suspect the modification has taken place well after 1918. Indeed many W&S No1 Mk1's were converted after the war by having there barrels trimmed to the same length as the No2 Mk1 signal pistols, the difference is visible as the barrel is thicker at the muzzle on the converted No1 Mk1's than the No2 Mk1's.

Perhaps these were converted by a company selling to the police market, but why bother as there was nothing wrong with the original with its shotgun butt. All very interesting.

Regards

AlanD

Return to “Other & unidentified British flare guns”