Sedgley A-P Rocket Pistol

somd_mustangs
User

Sedgley A-P Rocket Pistol

Post by somd_mustangs »

I wound up with this Sedgley 37mm marked on the left side of the barrel chamber:

A-P ROCKET PISTOL
R.F. SEDGLEY, INC
PHILA PA USA

and "PAT 1-13-31" on the left side of the "receiver".

This marking wasn't listed in Signalman's article in Gun Collectors Digest Vol. 5 so if anyone knows more about it I'd love to hear it.
The general configuration is the same as the Coston Sedgley "Parachute Signal Pistol" I've got (and the pistol in the Coston Sedgley thread) including the screwed-on trigger guard.

The barrel and receiver appear to be made out of alloy, either aluminum or zinc - not brass or steel.
The barrel has rough black paint that's partly worn off, and to my eye was probably added later.
The receiver is also painted black and has a little rough texture too but may be original
The grip assembly is cast aluminum or other white metal, similar to my Coston Sedgley but with a nice smooth even black finish.

The S/N of 4873 appears on the left barrel lug and on the inside left lip of the receiver.
There are no markings on the grip assembly other than the "S" logos on the sides.

The bore is very poor with a lot of corrosion, and a hole eroded through the rear chamber into the ejector tunnel.

Comments (good or bad) appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by somd_mustangs on Tue 17 May 2016, 05:42, edited 3 times in total.
somd_mustangs
User

Re: Sedgley A-P Rocket Pistol

Post by somd_mustangs »

More pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
somd_mustangs
User

Re: Sedgley A-P Rocket Pistol

Post by somd_mustangs »

disassembled view:

it was really messy inside, rusty grease etc so it barely functioned.

Return to “Other & unidentified American flare guns”