FRENCH PINFIRE - " FIREWORKS " SIGNAL GUN

signalman
User

FRENCH PINFIRE - " FIREWORKS " SIGNAL GUN

Post by signalman »

I believe this is a French Pinfire pistol designed to fire fireworks cartridges. Perhaps one of the flare cartridge collectors have an example they can picture.

A pinfire cartridge which looks like a shot shell with a window on it is loaded into the chamber. The paper end of the shell extends out of the breech with the window pointed up. When fired the " fireworks " shoot out of the window up 90 degrees into the air from where the pistol is aimed.

These fireworks can be used for signalling like a flare. If anyone knows more about this type of pistol please let us know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
Dr.E13
User

Re: FRENCH PINFIRE - " FIREWORKS " SIGNAL GUN

Post by Dr.E13 »

Are there any markings, including under the wooden grips?
May your collection grow and prosper.

Dr.E13
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Hello, No markings I can see. I never removed the grips.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
hotto
User

Post by hotto »

Hi

i found on a militaria - meeting in Germany this green signal- cartridge in cal. 12 ga. The system is the same, as the Mählmann - Patent from 1894. I think, this is the cartridge for the french pinfire pistol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

very nice !

This forum is great !

Return to “Other & unidentified French flare guns”