Strange e-mail?

American flare guns
Webhol
User

Strange e-mail?

Post by Webhol »

Hi all,

Am posting this purely because I had an odd e-mail saying my membership would be cancelled if I didn't post something within a week. It did NOT have my user name or other things I would expect, and purported to be from Weidman Bemelmans, but the English sounded a bit "Nigerian" to me so I hit the delete button as quickly as I could. Weidman, my apologies if you did actually send it, but it didn't look quite right.

I also saw when logging in that I had NO messages from the forum.

Has any other member who has not posted on the forum yet had this? Or anyone who hasn't posted for a while? This is a "just in case" warning.

Cheers,

Pete in Australia.

All this might be just a flash in the pan (not quite an appropriate saying for flare guns, but as close as I can get!), but I am very nervous about such e-mails as these nasties are getting very sophisticated. I had a Nigerian hacker a couple of years ago via a g-mail account (now closed) and it took me 4 days to sort out the mess.

Hi Signalman, still trying to sort that engine out.
Webhol
User

Re: Strange e-mail?

Post by Webhol »

Maybe it's an admin. thing for anonymity, but when I posted, M.B. and M. became Weidman B. and Weidman instead.

Pete.

Let's see what happens when I post this.
BrunoH
Beheerder

Post by BrunoH »

Hi Pete,
I'm really sorry for having sent you this mail but since two or three days, the forum is attacked by a lot a spams. So I have to find out which 'member' who is registered on this site helps for the attacks. That's why I ask every 'real' member with no post to write a little sentence (so.. a post) so we can get rid of these web robots and find the intruder.
Once again, sorry for having disturbed you with my mail (btw, I'm not Nigerian ;) )
Have a nice day
Best regards
Bruno

PS: The explanation is here: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=436
Webhol
User

Post by Webhol »

No problem Bruno, as long as I know it was a genuine e-mail I have no issues with it at all. Do what you must.

Things are getting bad on line these days and we just can't be too careful. And I'm so glad you aren't Nigerian otherwise I'd be very worried!

One day I may have a few nice things to report on. Not too good on computers so I can't work out how to post a photo of my unmarked French 35mm side-ejector for comments by other members. I collect only WW1 and before flare pistols.

Just as a matter of interest, flare pistols in the state of Victoria, Australia are not regarded as firearms and are completely unregulated, as are flares. Neither are they a worry to Australian Customs on importation. After the Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania our state governments got together to introduce uniform firearm laws across Australia. I bought my 35mm side-ejector from a dealer in Tasmania last year, and when he asked me what I wanted him to do with it, I said, "just mail it to me." "I can't," he replied, "it's a registered pistol in Tasmania." So he sent it to a gun dealer friend near me and he asked what he was to do with it. I said, "just give it to me," so he checked with our Victorian registry and they said, "just give it to him." So in its brief flight across Bass Strait it became a piece of brass, steel and wood instead of a registered pistol. Great uniform gun laws, eh?

Cheers,

Pete.
BrunoH
Beheerder

Post by BrunoH »

Hi Pete,
An other option would have been to send the flare gun in several parcels with the following description: 'spare parts' for signal system ....
Have a nice day and enjoy the life in Australia...
Best regards
Bruno

Return to “American flare guns”