US Army Signal Pistol 1862

signalman
User

Re: US Army Signal Pistol 1862

Post by signalman »

Sorry for the delay, but I now have photo's of the two 1862 Army Civil War Flare pistols converted to boot pistols.

I believe these were done primarily by the Confederates, as they were always short of firearms, and used Percussion guns throughout the war.

The first example was probably done by an arsenal, as it has a very professional steel barrel, with a thick brass layer or tube sweated to the barrel. No doubt done to prevent rust and protect the barrel from the weather.

This first example still has the clear USA Civil War address on the butt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

The second example is much cruder, with a long steel barrel attached ( no brass around the barrel.)

Probably done by a blacksmith, or armorer in the field. Note the USA address on the butt is scratched out crudely. Most likely done by an angry Confederate Soldier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
Dr.E13
User

Post by Dr.E13 »

Remember my flaregun (Request information re: American Percussion Signal? Pistol) which (Hoto) Horst thought may be the Coston 1877 pre-flaregun

"This is a gun for the "Night Aerial Flares" by Harry H. Coston, son of Martha J. Coston. These signals were already shot high into the air and were therefore to look very far. This gun is the missing link between the guns of the Civil War and the Very - Pistol of 1877."

(see pic below).

Yours, may be the same, especially the first one.

What is the bore size of each?

By the way, you posted excellent pictures of great items.

I have added a Bannerman 1907 illustration of a US Navy Rocket Pistol.
Last edited by Dr.E13 on Fri 29 Jun 2012, 21:01, edited 2 times in total.
May your collection grow and prosper.

Dr.E13
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Hello, No, the bore I believe is too small for it to be a H.Coston flare.

Bore size is ~ .56 cal. on the steel barrel, and ~ .48 cal. on the brass barrel.

Dr.E13
User

Post by Dr.E13 »

What is the size of the Coston signal, not at the plug-in area but upper larger area?

Dr.E13
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

I don't have one handy, but much larger than the bore diameters on my examples. I will measure one of mine tomorrow and post it.

Dr.E13
User

Post by Dr.E13 »

Signalman,

Look at my posted pictures above and then look at your 2 boot pistols,
is it possible that your pistols were meant to be muzzle loading pistols
that shoot aerial flares?

Dr.E13

Return to “Other & unidentified American flare guns”