Dyer & Robson and J Pain & sons

AlanD
User

Dyer & Robson and J Pain & sons

Post by AlanD »

These two British firms were involved with selling flare guns and ammunition in the Victorian era , although I am not certain if they actually made the pistols themselves or contracted this work out?

Anyway, surviving examples are relatively scare, most having a two or three digit serial number. I would like to get an idea of how many were actually sold by each company, so I would be grateful if forum members would like to post any details or photos of Dyer & Robson or J Pain marked signal pistols they have come across. Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Alan David
Sydney
Dr.E13
User

Re: Dyer & Robson and J Pain & sons

Post by Dr.E13 »

I have 3 Dyer & Robson Model 1881s stored away. Also an original swing barrel/double header by Dyer/Robson. I plan to sell them soon so I will get them out by January and submit data.

Dyer & Robson partnered with Edward Very and started providing double headers circa 1877. Submitted several to the British Navy for testing. The navy like the concept but not the model gun. Ergo Dyer and Robson produced the Model1881 which the British adopted around 1887. It appears that Dyer & Robson ceased production about 1889.

Pain was mostly as a pyrotechnical co. which eventually morphed into fireworks and displays. It got involved with Very pistols later than Dyer/Robson. Possibly because of patent infringement concerns hard to tell exactly when.

My Dyer & Robson double header I think is serial number 47. The Models 1881 are possibly serial numbers 8, 24 and 44.

I also plan to sell my WWI signal parachute flare by Pain. It looks like a rocket and is in great shape for its a age.

Good Luck Collecting
May your collection grow and prosper.

Dr.E13
AlanD
User

Re: Dyer & Robson and J Pain & sons

Post by AlanD »

Great info Dr.E13

Look forward to any photos you can post in the New Year!

Regards

AlanD
Sydney

Return to “Other & unidentified British flare guns”