ML Aviation Ltd Flaregun for pressurised cabins, Mk II

Pilot7474
User

ML Aviation Ltd Flaregun for pressurised cabins, Mk II

Post by Pilot7474 »

ml3.jpg
This is one of the most interesting flare guns (signal pistols) I have ever encountered. It looks a bit like a Chinese puzzle. Caliber is 37mm.
Is was designed towards the end of the war to be used in high altitude aircraft. Later it was installed in the V-bombers (Valiant, Victor and Vulcan).
This seems to be the Mark II. I was told there are two more variations (Signalman, can you help out?) of which one is a weapon totally made out of Titanium.

It was made by a company called ML Aviation Ltd on White Waltham Aerodrome, Maidenhead, Berks, England

Took me 15 minutes to find out how it works :-)

Anybody have any more detailed info in this gun? And an estimate? Haven't got a clue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pilot7474 on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
Pilot7474
User

Re: ML Aviation Ltd Flaregun for pressurised cabins, Mk II

Post by Pilot7474 »

And just to show you the piece in loading position
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
signal
User

Post by signal »

Hello Pilot7474,

from all what I know, your signal pistol looks more like the MK I and not like the MK II. I have only seen both versions made of steel, never heared about a titanium version. The pistol was also used in Mosquito aircrafts. As so called "pressure cabin pistol", the MK II has a special closure against icing. I have attached two picture from the Pressure cabin pistol MK I and MK II.

Many greetings

from the Signal
Pilot7474
User

Post by Pilot7474 »

Thanks, Signal, this gets me a bit further. Was wondering what aircraft the piece was used in but the Mosquito makes sense.

I found a picture of one of these flareguns on a web-page of ex-workers from ML ltd. It shows one of these signal pistols as displayed in the Woodley Air Museum. The gun indeed looks like made from titanium and underneath the gun there is a sign on the display that says so. It might be one of the later versions, as used on the V-bombers.

My remarks about the titanium also stem from the book "ML Aviation Ltd, a secret world" by Graham Carter. There (page 103) a Mk I is shown with the port it is supposed to fit in. They say that a Mk II is pictured, hence my mistake.

I do believe, by the way, that the valve system did not have much to do with keeping the pressure in the cabin. Generally the aircompressors in such an aircraft should be able to compensate for such a relatively small (but noisy) hole. I think the main reason for the valve is that, with the pressure differential, you would not be able remove the used case. There would be about 12kg of force keeping it in with only your fingernails to remove it.
tony645
User

Post by tony645 »

Thanks for all the good info and pictures. This forum is going to be great. I have a MK I similiar to yours, except all the parts have been hand etched rather than stamped as yours appear to be. Would mine be a prototype or did someone just have too much time on their hands.

This is my first attempt to make a post, so I hope I can attach the pictures OK.

Tony
Pilot7474
User

Post by Pilot7474 »

Actually, I believe it could be either. Considering a number of these guns were produced under wartime conditions it may just have been that the stamping die needed maintenance (maybe the factory was hit by a V 1) but production had to continue. First production series is also plausible.
There is really very little info available about this company. I am planning a trip to several English arms museums (including Royal Armouries, Tank Museum Bovington, IWM and IWM Hendon). Maybe they can point me towards info.

Would love to find out production numbers and exact data. I assume it is no longer a hush-hush item.
ron3350
User

Post by ron3350 »

I have a Mk1 pistol with etched information and some stamped . It is nearly all aluminium or non-magnetic material except for the pins, and a few lever parts. Barrel is non-magnetic .Are the steel versions all steel? I have seen 3 alloy ones only. I also had not opened my pistol for a few years and it did make me think how I did this. Interesting pistol I was told it was used in Canberra bombers with pressurised cabins. Ron.,
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

I too, have not heard of the Titanium version.

I had a MKI and a MKII that sold at Morphys Auction in Oct. of last year. I have one example left. The two of mine that sold were pictured in a video of " Forgotten Weapons " on U-tube.

They sold for Thousands less than they should have. I was very disappointed with the auction results. I will be selling my last one privately.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !

Return to “Other & unidentified British flare guns”