signal
User

Type 97

Post by signal »

Type 97 Signal Pistol
Produced from 1937 to 1944 in Kawaguchiya Firearms Co., Ltd., Nihonbashi, Tokyo
Caliber: 28 mm
Production quantity probably 3300
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
signalman
User

Re: Type 97

Post by signalman »

I will list my 5 variations of the type 97 Japanese flare pistol.

First is the earliest model I have serial # 126

It is marked with just a "KFC" for Kawaguchia Firearms Co. ( Not Kentucky Fried Chicken )

Grips on all these show deliberate swelling or thickness to fit the hand. This early example has more swelling than later examples.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Second variation is serial # 1710.

It is marked " K F C " with an added Kana symbol meaning to, and Anchor. In other words, to the Navy. The Kanji and Anchor are the large type.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

The Third Variation is the same as the Second, except the Kana and Anchor symbol are the small type.

serial #2525
Last edited by signalman on Sat 26 Nov 2011, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.

signalman
User

Post by signalman »

The Forth Variation is Has Kanji charactors instead of the KFC, and the Kana & Navy proof below them. Only 2 are known, and less than 100 are presumed to have been marked this way.

Serial # 3119 ( the other being #3191 )

signalman
User

Post by signalman »

The fifth Variation, and highest serial number Type 97 I know of is serial # 3200. It may be the last one produced.

It only has the Kana and Anchor marking.

signalman
User

Re: Type 97 HOLSTER

Post by signalman »

This is a Japanese Type 97 Flare Pistol holster. Made of high quality Leather, yet like most Japanese flare pistol holsters, had thin shoulder straps which broke easily, and often, especially in the tropics.

There are two Japanese marks near the buckle.

Return to “Other & unidentified Japanese flare guns”