PROTOTYPE ? FRENCH FLARE PISTOL by MAB

signalman
User

PROTOTYPE ? FRENCH FLARE PISTOL by MAB

Post by signalman »

This is a French flare pistol manufactured by MAB. I do not know what the R stands for in the upper part of the grips. ( maybe model "R" ? ). It is in the standard 26.5mm. Serial Number ? appears to be 44
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
Pilot7474
User

Re: PROTOTYPE ? FRENCH FLARE PISTOL by MAB

Post by Pilot7474 »

Hi,

I believe this is not a prototype. I have seen this kind of flaregun on offer in France on several occasions. It is a postwar development. The grip is shaped in such a way that standard grip panels of an MAB pistol (possibly a .22 or .32) could be used. Seem to remember there is also a version with a frame anodised in a bright blue color.

Similar one on offer here (probably 37mm)

http://www.dpl-militaria-ww2.com/324-la ... s-mab.html
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Hello, Thank you for your observation. However if you look carefully at the pictures, you will see that the two flareguns are totally different, except for the somewhat similar style of the grip.

I am familiar with, and own one of the 40mm that you picture. I have to look up the model number on that one when I can and I will post it here. The break open of the flaregun you picture is similar to the Model 62-LXT where the one I picture breaks open using a side latch. Also the Model 62-LXT and the pistol you picture has Barrel Lugs. The one I pictured has none. Which design came first, I do not know.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
Gun_Shy
User

Post by Gun_Shy »

The "R" grips are from the MAB R-22 target pistol, made in .22short & .22LR caliber, which began production in July 1954. When this pistol was imported into the United States, MAB's US importer & distributor (WAC, or Winfield Arms Co, of Los Angeles) followed its usual practice of providing a "French name" for its MAB imports and called it "Le Chasseur" ("the Hunter"), the name by which it is now most commonly known, even outside the US.

Note that the R-22 came with one right grip but two different left grips. One of these has a thumbrest and the other does not, but has the area where the thumbrest went still marked on the grip. This explains the odd "swoop" on the left grip on the flare gun missing from the right grip.

Note that the flare gun grip has the notch in the left grip for the R-22 magazine release button.

The are several other MAB "R" pistol versions in .32, .7.65 longue (a French military round), and 9mm parabellum, but they look quite different from the R-22 (none are target pistols) and none use these grips.

Bill
MAB R-22.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Other & unidentified French flare guns”