MANVILLE 3rd Gen. 37mm Tear Gas Gun

signalman
User

MANVILLE 3rd Gen. 37mm Tear Gas Gun

Post by signalman »

This is my Manville 37mm Tear Gas " Machine Gun ". Of course it is semi-auto, not Full Auto. The Bolt Mechanism is for Loading and Unloading, and to Disassemble.

Manufactured in Pontiac Michigan, and was sold to the Alabama National Guard, and was used in the race riots in the 1960's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
signalman
User

Re: MANVILLE 3rd Gen. 37mm Tear Gas Gun

Post by signalman »

A few more photo's, Showing Manville and patent markings, The Manville grips with the circle "M" logo, and a front view showing the WOW factor of the twelve 37mm chambers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
Timelapse
User

Post by Timelapse »

What a lovely piece of machinery, thanks for posting.
Pilot7474
User

Post by Pilot7474 »

I believe the term "WOW factor" is a bit of an understatement.

What a piece of machinery. Have not found any new info on this 37mm version of the piece. One would expect it to be in aaaaallll the books.

Saw that there is a second generation Manville on offer in the Rock Island Auction in december. Lot 1833. Nice condition.
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Two of my second Generation Manvilles came from the Indiana National Guard.

Do you have one of the various types of 5 shot Manvilles ( These were also Manufactured on new tooling after Manville stopped production, from Lake Erie Chemical Company or LECCO as its marked on the grips ). I will picture a few tomorrow.

Pilot7474
User

Post by Pilot7474 »

I know those revolvers, in both versions. Saw a second type for sale a while ago in USA. The Lecco version would be illegal here (postwar) but the original Manville can be held without license.

Question about the 37mm third model Manville: What is the overall length of the piece, what is the barrel length and the length of the chambers?

Furthermore I notice that the rear of the cylinder is differently shaped, compared to the 1" model. Why the difference? Does this gun not have a separate firing pin for every chamber like the 1" version? Where is the wind-up spring situated?

I just remembered that there was a second model Manville for sale in Germany about a year ago. No idea how it got there.
Seems they do get around.....
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

I will have to get the dimensions for you, but to answer your question on the cylinder, remember, on the first generation 24 shots, the entire Cylinder including chambers are machined from a single block of aluminum.

The first Manville 5 shots also were manufactured this way, Cylinder from a single block of aluminum.

2nd and 3rd model Manvilles have the rear of the Cylinder machined from aluminum, BUT the chambers are a steel alloy. Later 5 shot cylinders are some kind of plastic, or Bakelite material.

As far as I know, ALL the 24, 18, and 12 shot guns have a separate firing pin for each chamber

Return to “Teargas flare guns”