Producer:
Sedgley, Philadelphia
Vulcan Manufacturing Co
Production: ?
Caliber: 19,6 mm
Length: 285 mm
Weight: 700 gram
usasedgleymark5.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
luft1
User

Re: Sedgley Mark 5

Post by luft1 »

Just picked up a 1942 dated example, but also got the original navy web holster and web belt with the flare loops. All items dated 1942 also and in basically unissued condition. Just curious, as my main interest is in the german flare guns, are these accoutrements rare or common? I was captured by seeing the complete rig all in one place whcih is why I jumped when I did. Thanks for all insights
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

In the USA these accessories are pretty common. The web belt can be found regularly on ebay and elsewhere for $50-75, The holsters rarely go for more than $50 and I have found them as low as $10.

Of course in a bidding war, anything can happen.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
Brian Keith
User

Post by Brian Keith »

I really like to find the various accessories to go with various items I collect. The holster and belt really look good in displays. Sometimes the accessories are harder to find then the main item. This gun and accessories would probably have been used by US Marines in WW II also.
BKW
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

You are correct, the Marines used a lot of navy equipment during WWII. Although web gear is not my focus, I have not run across any Flare belts or Flare Holsters that were Navy marked.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
964AWACS
User

Post by 964AWACS »

Was there a significant difference in production numbers between Sedgley and Vulcan? Do Vulcan produced Mark 5s command any kind of price premium?
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Hello, Production must have been quite high, as these are one of the most common of the USA flare pistols of WWII.

I see probably 5 Sedgleys for every 1 Vulcan, but there are still a lot of Vulcans out there.

I have not noticed any significant difference in price, although I personally believe the Vulcan should be $25 to $50 more, so that they are probably under-priced in todays market.

964AWACS
User

Post by 964AWACS »

Thanks signalman. I found a 1945 dated Vulcan and was just wondering what to offer as I haven't seen very many of them.
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

In the USA, where these are common, The Sedgley usually goes for $100 to $150 depending on how nice it is.

Return to “Sedgley Mark 5”