Zink Walther

Mark
User

Zink Walther

Post by Mark »

Here is another one from my collection. I have many questions, like why Walther produced the Zink guns?

This must be late war, but has the banner?

No miltary or property markings? Commercial gun? Who received these pistols?

Is this a rare gun? It is not marked "zink", like others I have seen?

Any help is appreciated, I'm learning here.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
signalman
User

Re: Zink Walther

Post by signalman »

Duraluminum was a scarce wartime material for the germans as it was used to make aircraft. Using common Zinc for the flare pistols saved quite a bit of metal. They actually scrapped the Graf Zeppelin II in order to salvage the Aluminum from the frame.

Yes it is late war, near the end of Heer model production which went on to ~ 60,000. The "L" suffix series of pistols I believe are from their commercial line of production ( however, most went to the military of course. )

They would go where needed, a few of these have police markings. Actually, there are far more questions to ask on these flare pistols than answers.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
Mark
User

Post by Mark »

Hmmm ..... so February or March production of 1945?

Lead elements of the 11th Armored, 22nd Tank Battalion, reached Zella-Mehlis on April 4th, 1945 and the factory was captured soon after.

Not many guns were leaving the factory at that time and based on condition may have been there when the US troops arrived?

We know the "b" block P.38's along with the correct mismatched "c" block were all captured at the factory. Walther was producing over 10,000 P.38's a month so in April, March production was still on the line. Some us us guess production for P.38's was more like 12,000 a month in 1945 based on the "c" and "d" block parts in the factory for GI assembly. The no letter block guns were from January and the February "a" blocks were also sent out to the Heers along with "b" blocks but not much after February 1945.

Thanks!

Mark
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

"Hmmm ..... so February or March production of 1945?"

Maybe, but remember Luger production, except for a tiny amount of Krieghoffs, stopped in 1942, While P-38 production continued from that date.

Since most Heer model flare gun production of Walther stopped in 1943, While Lp=42 production took off, It is possible that these Zink models were produced in 1942 and 1943 only.

I have not seen a poor or reduced quality Zink model flare pistol, so at this time I believe they were made through 1943, but not beyond that date .... or maybe to just the first month or two in 1944. After that date just the Lp-42's were made.

Just guessing. I hope some of our German Members have some access to production figures.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !

Return to “Leuchtpistole 34”