Swedish m/25 ammunition #1

Swedish flare guns
Fson
User

Swedish m/25 ammunition #1

Post by Fson »

Here is my latest found concerning Swedish flare gun ammunition, a original box with 25 pieces of "Signalpatron m/25" with brass cases. From my point of view is this found more spectacular as if get another pistol. The figures inside the cases indicates white, red and green. Production year is between app 1925 and 1940.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Fson on Sun 10 Aug 2014, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
Fson
User

Re: Swedish m/25 ammunition #2

Post by Fson »

Part two
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Fson on Sun 10 Aug 2014, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
Fson
User

Re: Swedish m/25 ammunition #3

Post by Fson »

part three
Last edited by Fson on Sun 10 Aug 2014, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
signalman
User

Re: Swedish m/25 ammunition #1

Post by signalman »

What a great find. I have one bag, and apparently one or two flare rounds.

What are the triangular notches for, that are cut into the ends of the flare round??

Are these notches only found on Swedish flares, or also on other countries ??
Last edited by signalman on Tue 26 Mar 2013, 03:49, edited 1 time in total.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
BrunoH
Beheerder

Post by BrunoH »

Hi Fson,
Thanks very much for the pictures. Neven seen before.
And same question about notches on cases.
Best regards
Fson
User

Post by Fson »

I have never heard about the meaning of those notches, there is either one, two or three in the open end of the case. In one of the photos you can also see a notch in the rand of the back part of some cases, I have seeing that way to mark even newer aluminium cases. Have obviously to do some investigation in this matter, and will of course come back with info, if I found some!!!
BrunoH
Beheerder

Post by BrunoH »

Maybe a way to recognize their type in the darkness ? (It there is a link between the number of notches and the color for instance)
K & K Collection
User

Post by K & K Collection »

Very beautiful.

Is it possible that they cut a triangle in the case when the cartridge is used for second or third thime (reloaded). Are the cartriges empty?
The dia. of the cases is it 25 mm ( French model ) or 26.5 mm ( Cal. 4 ).

Best regards
K & K Collection
Fson
User

Re: Swedish m/25 ammunition

Post by Fson »

Regarding markings on casings established in 1925, following the cartridges with a single illuminant.

White, a white ring and a notch in the case edge
Red, a red ring, and two notches in the case edge
Green, a green ring and three notches in the case edge

As one can see in a picture is a label inside the case mouth consisting of letters, V, R and G, which means white, red and green. Sometime in the fifties was supplied cartridges loaded with a single luminous body with this marking.
The letters were glowing in the dark, and a compliment to the various notches in the case mouth and the flange at the rear.
Around 1960, started all cases of brass to be phased out and replaced by ditto of aluminum and other markings.

Total length was 100 mm, width of rear flange 30.3 mm and finally the case diameter 26.5 mm.

There was also cartridges with double luminous bodys and other ones with double luminous bodys in two colors etc. etc. add to that the markings had changed more times during the 35 years this cartridge was used. An example on that is one green cartridge with one notch in the case mouth which according the old marking should be a white one.

Swedish flareguns and ammunition would be a fairly narrow area and of course, it is so because Sweden is a little country and not been involved in any war the last 200 hundred years, the interest of Swedish military material is limited, I choose to currently not to write more but will wait and see if there is any interest at all.

All 25 cartridges are all loaded with a single luminous body and fill the half of the case volume.
964AWACS
User

Post by 964AWACS »

Fson--
Thank you for sharing your knowledge of Swedish flare guns and cartridges. Though I may never own a Swedish flare pistol and will probably never even see a live Swedish flare cartridge, I am definitely interesting in any tidbits you have to share. Keep it coming!
--Rob

Return to “Swedish flare guns”