Coston Signal Lights

Webhol
User

Coston Signal Lights

Post by Webhol »

Hi all, and Signalman in particular.

I am beginning to design an electronic version (for safety and ease of transport) of the original Civil War Coston Signal Lights that will, however, be started by firing a "top hat" musket cap. Has anybody else had any thoughts on such a device? Or actually made one?

I have some ideas, but finding small enough components may be difficult as I want the replicas to be the same size as the originals. I will also have to have a chip made up to control the LED lights for the correct timing of the flash and order of firing using LEDs.

The idea may never come to anything, but as I have virtually finished my .22 Gatling Gun I need a new project to keep the lone neuron ticking over.

Cheers,

Pete.
signalman
User

Re: Coston Signal Lights

Post by signalman »

Hello, that would be a fun item, including for reenactments, however, I am probably the least qualified person to ask. My wife doesn't even let me change a light bulb.

Personally, if I were you, I would contact a pyrotechnist. Someone who's specialty is fireworks compounds and ignition. After all, that is what Martha Coston did to help develop her husbands flares.

Also, you could have a fake flare with led light in it running off watch or hearing aid batteries. It would look great in a Civil War Flare Gun display.

If the cost is reasonable, I would be interested in several different colors.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
Webhol
User

Re: Coston Signal Lights

Post by Webhol »

Have sent you an e-mail re articles.

Batteries would be no problem, as you say, watch, camera, hearing aid types would be small enough, and LEDs don't use a whole lot of power. No idea on what they would cost yet, but not a huge amount, although the chip would be the major component unless I can work out another system. However the things would be re-useable AND SAFE. I contacted a local pyrotechnician, but he wasn't really that interested - not unless the numbers were sort of in the thousands!

I want some thing you can unclamp, remove, reset and use time and time again. A lot cheaper for re-enactments and displays than proper "burny" ones, AND easily and legally transportable!

I will e-mail you my first (and so far only) drawing for thoughts and comments. It will certainly need a fair bit of tweaking before I even think of trying to knock up a prototype. I have the right sort of microswitch, but need a much smaller version.

I think I have a chart of burning times somewhere, perhaps you could tell me what would be a good time for the individual colours to light up when single and in combination.

Pete.

Return to “Other & unidentified American flare guns”