Unknown Model L maker...

billybibbet
User

Unknown Model L maker...

Post by billybibbet »

Some of you may have seen this one for sale on Gunbroker recently. I was the successful bidder, and recently received it. I spent an hour this evening giving it a good cleaning, it was quite dirty, including a lot of soil within the checkering of the grips. Bore had a lot of left over powder reside which mostly cleaned out (will require a second attempt). Surprisingly, the "scratches" on the outside of the barrels is simply marks from another metal object rubbing on them. They cleaned right off with bore solvent and patches! :) What is interesting about this one, is it has all the normal acceptance stamps, but no maker mark or year of production. The serial number is 274xx. The high serial number suggests Heinrich Krieghoff (FZS) or Emil Eckholdt (ECKO), yes? Based on the finish, I would think it is safe to assume 43 to 45 production, but the high serial number might pin it to 1944 or 1945 perhaps?. I removed the grips and could find no other marks. Can any of the more experienced collectors be able to assist in identification, and year? How rare is this to have missing maker and year marks? I did find reference to an ECKO with serial number 26657 with no year, but did have a maker mark on this website:
http://leuchtpistole.free.fr/Sommaire/En_ModeleLW.html
Mine does resemble the ECKO closely in finish and grip color:
http://leuchtpistole.free.fr/Sommaire/i ... LW_2_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bergler
User

Re: Unknown Model L maker...

Post by bergler »

The surface finish (gray parkerized) is quite typical....I have 2 similar at home, but both with manufacturer. Will have a look tonight. I think it is Ecko. Will post pics then.
I like this one, very good condition and unusual!
billybibbet wrote:Some of you may have seen this one for sale on Gunbroker recently. I was the successful bidder, and recently received it. I spent an hour this evening giving it a good cleaning, it was quite dirty, including a lot of soil within the checkering of the grips. Bore had a lot of left over powder reside which mostly cleaned out (will require a second attempt). Surprisingly, the "scratches" on the outside of the barrels is simply marks from another metal object rubbing on them. They cleaned right off with bore solvent and patches! :) What is interesting about this one, is it has all the normal acceptance stamps, but no maker mark or year of production. The serial number is 274xx. The high serial number suggests Heinrich Krieghoff (FZS) or Emil Eckholdt (ECKO), yes? Based on the finish, I would think it is safe to assume 43 to 45 production, but the high serial number might pin it to 1944 or 1945 perhaps?. I removed the grips and could find no other marks. Can any of the more experienced collectors be able to assist in identification, and year? How rare is this to have missing maker and year marks? I did find reference to an ECKO with serial number 26657 with no year, but did have a maker mark on this website:
http://leuchtpistole.free.fr/Sommaire/En_ModeleLW.html
Mine does resemble the ECKO closely in finish and grip color:
http://leuchtpistole.free.fr/Sommaire/i ... LW_2_1.jpg
Willi
User

Post by Willi »

I can't help with the maker. But it is a nice piece. Good pick up for your collection.
bergler
User

Post by bergler »

Here are 2 very similar LP Ls from my collection. Same surface Treatment, both made by ECKO. I think yours is an ECKO too....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billybibbet
User

Post by billybibbet »

Thank you Martin. I would agree, the most likely maker is probably Ecko. I appreciate your posting the pictures.

Return to “Leuchtpistole L "Fliegerleuchtpistole"”