Recently Offered qyn LP-42

kriegsmodell
User

Recently Offered qyn LP-42

Post by kriegsmodell »

Watched with interest the recent sale of a C. u W. Meinel-Scholer, qyn coded LP-42 on the GunBroker auction site. It was the regularly encountered variation marked with the code only, no serial number, and Eagle Swastika WaA99. The condition was clean, a nice collectable example. It topped out at just over $700. I understand that this code is far less plentiful than the wa or euh pieces but I was a bit surprised it finished that high. Perhaps I've been living in a cave but is this the "typical" price that a qyn should currently bring? Thoughts .....?
gunnertwo
User

Re: Recently Offered qyn LP-42

Post by gunnertwo »

I also watched that auction with interest. Was surprised at the final price but interest in FP seems to have increased. I've been in the "hobby" for only two years. Many of the variations are low priced compared to Lugers, P38's and Colts. I won an auction on a lesser condition qyn at $420 a few months ago. Like anything else in the collecting field as interest increases so do values. The area is a complement to my other military items.

G2
kriegsmodell
User

Post by kriegsmodell »

Thanks for your insight and comments G2 .....
billybibbet
User

Post by billybibbet »

gunnertwo wrote:I also watched that auction with interest. Was surprised at the final price but interest in FP seems to have increased. I've been in the "hobby" for only two years. Many of the variations are low priced compared to Lugers, P38's and Colts. I won an auction on a lesser condition qyn at $420 a few months ago. Like anything else in the collecting field as interest increases so do values. The area is a complement to my other military items.

G2
I am in complete agreement with the above. While I have owned several post war German flare pistols for many years, I only became interested in WW2 German flare pistols in the past couple years or so, and seen a dramatic increase in interest and bidding activity in the last 7 or 8 months. Whether this is a short term "bubble" or firm increase in values is still to be determined...
Even the post war stuff has seen huge increases recently...esp the H&K P2A1, and Polish clone.
Gunbroker is a difficult place to get a firm handle on prices, as there are always "outliers" where someone pays an incredible amount because they "gotta have it". Then you never see a repeat of that price again. There are also some high asking prices, and flare guns that have been listed for literally YEARS on gunbroker, and have never sold. I don't need to offer specifics, we all know which ones they are... :)
bergler
User

Post by bergler »

billybibbet wrote:
gunnertwo wrote:I also watched that auction with interest. Was surprised at the final price but interest in FP seems to have increased. I've been in the "hobby" for only two years. Many of the variations are low priced compared to Lugers, P38's and Colts. I won an auction on a lesser condition qyn at $420 a few months ago. Like anything else in the collecting field as interest increases so do values. The area is a complement to my other military items.

G2
I am in complete agreement with the above. While I have owned several post war German flare pistols for many years, I only became interested in WW2 German flare pistols in the past couple years or so, and seen a dramatic increase in interest and bidding activity in the last 7 or 8 months. Whether this is a short term "bubble" or firm increase in values is still to be determined...
Even the post war stuff has seen huge increases recently...esp the H&K P2A1, and Polish clone.
Gunbroker is a difficult place to get a firm handle on prices, as there are always "outliers" where someone pays an incredible amount because they "gotta have it". Then you never see a repeat of that price again. There are also some high asking prices, and flare guns that have been listed for literally YEARS on gunbroker, and have never sold. I don't need to offer specifics, we all know which ones they are... :)
Exactly what I think as well. There is a lot of interest at present, lots of new collectors for flare guns as they discover that this is an easy and interesting field for collecting. In many countries still free, so no hassles with law and order. I think that this will be no "boom" but a steady increase of demand. But will see, I think it is good that this community grows, and we can share what we have and see other things as well....
kriegsmodell
User

Post by kriegsmodell »

Thanks for your insight gentlemen!

Return to “Leuchtpistole 42”