1889 or 1899 German Submarine Flare Pistols

Kometa
User

Re: 1889 or 1899 German Submarine Flare Pistols

Post by Kometa »

Another one from Russia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Thank you, Obviously buried for quite some time. Where was it found or recovered ? ?

Both Navy and Luftwaffe used these, which do you think used this example ? ?
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
IntoArt
User

Post by IntoArt »

Hello to all... First post on this forum. I just purchased a double barrel submarine flare gun but cannot see any manufacturer's markings or serial numbers. I have not taken off the grips. Would these markings be under the grips? Image

signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Could you please send some photo's ??

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
IntoArt
User

Post by IntoArt »

I can't seem to attach or display photos. Perhaps due to their size? Or perhaps the mod hasn't given me permission yet? I have put together an album that can be found at: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... pKZVRkZ0Rn

I am an art and antiques dealer and provenance is generally important to also relay. So, I will share that the flare gun came from an American Army Captain, a doctor in an artillery division medical corp, stationed in Nurenberg after the war (WWII). He received it from a German military officer as a gift and brought it back home, where it has stayed in the family ever since.

Look forward to your comments :)
BrunoH
Beheerder

Post by BrunoH »

Hi,
Nice 1899 model flare gun. Regarding the point there is no Id and no proof at all, no idea at all.
Maybe no affected no any ship ? Anyway, a nice one.
Best regards
Peter
User

Post by Peter »

Hi

Nice one (still on my wish-list)!
Good to see that there are still examples to be found!

Best regards,
Peter
IntoArt
User

Post by IntoArt »

I found the serial number after Signalman suggested I look more closely :)

Here is a picture: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NzrHzh0aEdtzIJNE3

Turns out, the pistol is Serial Nº. 13.

I did not remove the grips, as I will let someone with more experience do that. But by removing the barrel pivot bolt and then separating the barrel from the lower, cleaning the accumulated muck, the number 13 was both on the body of the pistol and the barrel assembly, as well as the barrel pivot bolt and the ejector rod. I would imagine it would be repeated in other components within the assembly of the pistol, making its parts all original.

Any input would be most welcomed. Thank you, Stuart.
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

Hello, Now that you have a serial number, there are a number of explanations as to why it does not have makers markings or a date.
1) Being a low number could mean that standardized markings for such an early flare pistol may not have been ordered at that time.

2) The example you own may not have been Military accepted or may have been kept in the factory as a sample or instructional model.

3) It may be a Commercial example that was not Military accepted for that reason, and the butt was left blank in case the retailer wanted to add their name.

I am sure you can think of other explanations for the lack of markings.

IntoArt
User

Post by IntoArt »

signalman wrote:Hello, Now that you have a serial number, there are a number of explanations as to why it does not have makers markings or a date.
1) Being a low number could mean that standardized markings for such an early flare pistol may not have been ordered at that time.

2) The example you own may not have been Military accepted or may have been kept in the factory as a sample or instructional model.

3) It may be a Commercial example that was not Military accepted for that reason, and the butt was left blank in case the retailer wanted to add their name.

I am sure you can think of other explanations for the lack of markings.
Thank you... Were the prototypes numbered but not marked, perhaps?

Return to “Other & unidentified German flare guns”