Cosmoline

WWIwatcher
User

Cosmoline

Post by WWIwatcher »

I am in the process of acquiring a Webley No 1 Mk I, and it has been suggested that it is still covered/saturated with cosmoline. It definitely is coated with some sort of brownish material on the metal parts.
I have been searching online for information about cosmoline such as its history, development, etc. Most information found is contradictory to other information I am finding. Is it possible that a No 1 Mk I has been preserved in cosmoline as a typical military rust/moisture preventative? Does anyone have any pertinent information regarding the development of cosmoline and/or specifically, its possible use on WWI surplus items from Britain or the USA?
signalman
User

Re: Cosmoline

Post by signalman »

Hello, I have owned many British and Commonwealth firearms that were covered in cosmoline for storage. I see no reason why a No1 Mk1 Webley could also have been stored this way.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
WWIwatcher
User

Post by WWIwatcher »

Signalman,

Thank you for your response. Do yo have any suggestions on the best way to remove the cosmoline? I have heard some techniques/chemicals may be better than others.

Thanks again.
signalman
User

Post by signalman »

I just use gun oil and elbow grease using old rags, and wearing old clothes.

Its a messy job, maybe someone else can give us a tip.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

I am still looking for ANY information regarding the European Use of the Original Costons flares from 1859 through 1881. Photo's, Patents, contracts & orders, ANY INFORMATION IS NEEDED ! !
bergler
User

Post by bergler »

one possibility is cooking....hot water. I have never tried this and use mostly what signalman uses....elbow grease. A lot and messy work, not for the time before going to see the new girlfriend ;-)

Return to “Webley and Scott Number 1 Mark 1”